Friday 8 January 2016

Figure Drawing

It is becoming colder everyday and I am spending a lot more time indoors.  As the weather changes, so does my artistic mood and appetite.  There is not much greenery to look at outside.
Indoors however, things are looking more cozy.  On the table are my sketchbook, a few pencils and a hot cup of tea to enjoy while the bread is baking in the oven.
These days, I am sketching human figures.  Sometimes, it feels good to put away the paint and just sketch! Although detailed drawings or paintings look great, yet I prefer a more "unfinished", "painterly" or "sketchy" look to a piece.  
Here are a few warm up sketches that I have been working on.
I usually begin with a contour drawing, then look for shadow shapes and slowly adjust everything.  



At this point I would like to focus only on the body and not the face...portraiture will be another topic to explore some other time. :)



I guess I could not stay away from my watercolors for too long! :)



I use online photo references for my sketches. Here is a good website for artists who would like to draw figures from models. 

I hope you enjoyed reading today's post everyone.  Happy sketching! 






No comments:

Post a Comment