Saturday 12 January 2019

Portrait Drawing

I don't remember the last time I drew a portrait.  It is not my favourite subject to draw.  However, once in a while when I see a photo that I like, I do give it a try.

I saw a vintage photograph online a long time ago and had it on my computer to use as my drawing reference.  What I liked most about the photo was the elegant attire.  In terms of design, there is good contrast in values and variety in lines.


I used the grid method to do the initial contour drawing.  That is drawing a grid over the reference photo, and then one of equal ratio on my work surface (paper). 
Drawing from a reference photo is not difficult at all.  You just need to pay close attention to every detail.  You should not focus on drawing an eye for example, but on the change in value of abstract shapes!  
The border around the image measures 11 cm by 14 cm.  For the shading I used three pencils; 8H, 2H and 6B. 

I think I will continue working on drawing/painting portraits for a while.  


"Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force but through persistence."
- Ovid
    



No comments:

Post a Comment